Monday, June 15, 2009

My Son's 2nd Birthday Cakes


For my son's 2nd birthday in April I had him a bug party. I made two cakes one was a caterpillar made with white cupcakes and the other was a chocolate dirt cake. To make the caterpillar cake I made several (20 something) white cupcakes. I iced them in green and decorated them with M&Ms. Then I poked licorice through each side to be legs. I also used licorice as a mouth and antennas and M&Ms for the eyes. The hardest part was poking the licorice through, using a toothpick to make a hole first helped. By the way I just have to add that adding M&Ms to cupcake does something magical. I can't really explain what it was but these cupcake were just so good and I think it was the M&Ms.

The dirt cake was something I just kind of made up as I went I tried to remember how to make a regular dirt cake and used that basic recipe. First I baked chocolate cake and then cut it into chunks to fit on the plate. Then I mounded some cake on top. Earlier I had mixed together Cool Whip and chocolate pudding with some Oreo crumbles mixed in and refrigerated that for a while. After the cake was made I piled some of the pudding mixture on top then added some more Oreo crumbles. Then I put some gummy worms in it and that was it. It took me like five minutes to put it all together and people loved it. So if you want an idea for a cake that tastes really good and looks pretty neat make a dirt cake. It is sure to impress.

No comments:

Post a Comment