Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Black Forest Cake



Okay so here is a Black Forest Cake that my sister-in-law and I made for my father-in-law's birthday. I found the recipe online by doing a search and choosing the recipe that sounded the best to me. I am pretty sure this one came from about.com: southern food. I decorated it like a lot of the pictures I was seeing. This particular recipe called for 1/4 c. cherry brandy which may not really seem like a lot but when I was pouring it on it was soaking the cake and I was like whoa that's a lot of alcohol. One of the hardest things about this cake was shredding the Hershey bar and getting it on the cake. The Hershey bar kind of got all melty while we were trying to shred it (we just used a regular cheese grater.) Then the hard part was putting the chocolate shreds on the cake. I tried kind of throwing them at it and pressing them in, none of it really worked too well and that is why the sides look a little patchy. I did not partake in this cake so I do not know how it tasted. Everyone said it was good but nobody seemed ecstatic or anything. I am not really sure what I would do differently with this cake. Maybe research better ways to get the chocolate to stick. I also would not use the can of whip cream to do the little dollops on top because thy deflated halfway through the evening and it looked kind of sad by the time we got around to actually cutting and eating the cake. Oh well. Can't win'em all.

No comments:

Post a Comment