Sunday, May 17, 2009

My first cake blog post

This is the first blog I have ever attempted to do. I make a lot of cakes and I always have to do a lot of internet research to get ideas and figure out how to do stuff so I thought it would be nice if I posted my creations somewhere along with advice on how to make them. I am very new to both cake making and blogging so if you stumble upon this website bear with me as it will probably not be the most polished piece of work you've seen.


This is the cake that got me interested in making cakes. This was last year at my son's first birthday. I saw a picture of a giant cupcake online and thought I really wanted to make one. I was so glad to find that you could just buy a giant cupcake pan made by Wilton. So I bought it and made a practice one ahead of time and it was actually really easy and came out pretty cute. I think I used two boxes of cake. I whipped the icing (store-bought) so it looked a little fluffier and piped it on with a star tip. My husband and I made the candle and the tag out of this homemade clay stuff that I found a recipe for online (I think you could probably do this type of thing better with fondant but I just don't really know much about how to do it yet). I can't remember exactly how it was made but it was mostly salt. I was surprised by how nice they came out. I did the writing with a a pen that is made to write on cakes that I found at the grocery store. I think I attached the flame with a toothpick. Then I just tied a real ribbon abound it a this is how it turned out. I was quite proud of my creation.

This concludes my first post but I will add to it with all the rest of the cakes I have made over the last year and I hope I can continue to update this blog each time a make a new cake. If you have any questions about the cakes I make just leave it in the comments or email me at cakesbycami@gmail.com and I will answer it.

No comments:

Post a Comment